Saturday, July 28, 2012

Invisible Illness Week 30 things

1. The illness I live with is: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2006
3. But I had symptoms since: 1989
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: not growing up and being able to have a carer and family like i always thought i'd have
5. Most people assume: People who don't know me assume i'm perfectly fine and don't understand why i'm not in school/working/living on my own
6. The hardest part about mornings are: waiting for medications to kick in. Because none of my systems that should work automatically without me thinking about them work correct (heart rate, blood pressure, body temp, breathing, digestion, ect) mornings are hard until the medications that regulate those things kick in
7. My favorite medical TV show is: House
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my laptop 
9. The hardest part about nights are: not being able to sleep and loneliness 
10. Each day I take 20 pills & vitamins. (No comments, please)
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: have always been open and have tried what i can afford
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: i don't think it matters no matter what people who don't know me would stare either because i don't look like i need a handicap sticker or because my illness would be visible. people who know me are all pretty awesome and it really wouldn't matter. however, i do wish i looked at sick as i feel sometimes just do i wouldn't have to hear how "good" i look 
13. Regarding working and career: i always thought i'd work with animals or a pediatric nurse. i've tried a few job and baby sat for years but i'm just not able to hold down anything full time... or even part time for that matter
14. People would be surprised to know: how truly lonely i am
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: i've always been sick but the hardest thing since being older has been knowing i can't be a parent
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: take a cruise and go on roller coasters (shouldn't do the roller coasters but i don't land myself in the hospital like i thought i would lol)
17. The commercials about my illness: don't exist 
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: i've always been sick so there wasn't a big change once i was diagnosed 
19. It was really hard to have to give up: it was hard for me to finally realize no matter how hard i push myself i can't keep up with people my own age
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: i've always loved puzzles. it's something i'm able to do alone since i spend so much time alone and it's something i can do no matter how sick for the most part anyway
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: if money wasn't an issue i would fly to california and hike the red woods or take my nephew to the zoo without making sure i didn't have anything the next few days in order to recover
22. My illness has taught me: that not only can i not do it all... it's really not necessary to try and people who care about me don't expect me to
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: i know they mean well but it's hard to hear how good i look when i feel so horrible
24. But I love it when people: take the time to ask how i am and actually want an answer or take the time to send a text or give a call or best of all visit or give a hug :)
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: Zep. 3:17
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: please don't give up hope and there ARE good doctors who know what they are talking about when it comes to POTS... it just takes time
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: how sometimes people outside my family can be more understanding then those inside it
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: taking the time to just spend time with me in the hospital
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: so many people just don't understand
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: happy you took the time to try and understand

No comments:

Post a Comment